We love our lemon in the house. It isn't quite Easter yet so we are holding off on the Paska and yet lemon seems so springtime to me. Buy some fresh lemons. . .make a cup of tea ..add a bit of local honey and a slice of lemon and get out your loaf pans.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- lemon zest from 4 large lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sour milk (1 teaspoon lemon juice put in a 1 cup measuring cup and filled with milk to 3/4 cup and allowed to sit for 5 minutes)
- 1/2 sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- the remaining lemon juice and enough water to make a thin glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray two 7 1/2 X 4 X 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and line the bottom and two long sides with parchment paper.
- Sift together the dry ingredients onto a piece of parchment paper for quick clean up or into a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until very light. .several minutes for sure.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating until combined and then the lemon zest.
- Combine the wet ingredients and them alternating with the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two loaf pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.. .about 45 - 50 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, simmer the syrup ingredients together for just a minute or so until the sugar melts.
- When the toothpick comes out clean of the lemon loaf. Put the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan.
- Brush the syrup over all the sides of the loaves until all the syrup has been used up.
- Allow to cool completely and make the glaze while you are waiting.
- Drizzle the glaze over the loaves and allow it to set.
- Serve with a nice cup of tea. . lemon slices and a small pot of honey.