This recipe comes from Marion, whom I met on a service project in Lithuania in1994. She and her husband were from Pennsylvania, overseeing the work there as different volunteers came along. She was a delight to work with in the kitchen and, as a couple, they were an example of how to enjoy one's retirement years.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (half brown)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ½ cups rolled oat
- 1 cups flaked coconut
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the flour mixture, vanilla and oats, then coconut.
- Drop by rounded tsp on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° F, about 10 min.
- Yield: 4 - 5 doz. They will be soft when you take them out of the oven. Leave on cookie sheet for five minutes and then, using lifter, transfer to clean cookie sheet. Easier to remove before they crisp up completely. A very nice crispy, chewy oatmeal/coconut combination.