Coconut Cake with Cream Frosting
Coconut Cake with Seven Minute Frosting
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 ¼ cups sifted flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
2. Cream butter and add sugar gradually until light and well blended.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
4. Add 1 ¼ cups flour, baking soda and salt and beat well.
5. Add extracts to buttermilk and add half of liquid to batter. Beat well.
6. Add remaining cup flour and rest of liquid and beat until moistened.
7. Beat an additional 2 minutes at medium speed. Fold in 1 cup coconut.
8. Spoon into prepared pans and bake at 350º for about 30 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out dry.
9. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.
If you’ve baked your cake in 2 round pans, you can fill the cake with any of the following:
• Lemon curd folded into lightly sweetened whipped cream
• Raspberry jam topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream
• Vanilla pudding
Frost with: 7 minute frosting and top with flaked coconut.
Or: Frost with the following:
• ½ litre of whipping cream
• 2-3 tablespoons Instant vanilla pudding powder
• ½ teaspoon vanilla
• ½ teaspoon coconut extract
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and beat with mixer on high until thick. Do not over beat.
Spread whipped frosting on top and sides of cake and top with toasted coconut