Here's a pizza that gives you a fresh finish. After baking the sauce and meat topped crust, top it all with crisp lettuce strips, chopped tomatoes and cheese.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tbsp Semolina flour
- 1 package ( 1 tbsp) quick rise yeast
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp yellow cornmeal, for the pan.
This is a stir and rest dough. Add all the dry ingredients except for the cornmeal in a bowl. Add the water and oil. Stir well, and then gather together with your hands making sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Cover and allow to rest for an hour before baking. You can also pre make the dough, cover and place in the fridge for several days. When ready to use take out and let dough sit at room temperature for an hour before baking.
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups head lettuce, shredded into long strips
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese, either Tex Mex, or a mixture of cheddar and Monterrey Jack
- 1 cup re fried beans
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- Fry together meat and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Drain any excess drippings.
- For the sauce stir together re fried beans and salsa. Set aside.
- Prepare lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.
- If using a pizza stone heat as directed. You can also use a regular pizza pan, but grease it well. Sprinkle stone or pan with cornmeal. Take dough, and on a lightly oiled counter press out to form the size of your pan. Lift and place on top of cornmeal. Press to form a crust as needed.
- Spread re fried bean and salsa sauce over crust and top with meat and onion mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the meat. Bake in 425º oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Immediately top with lettuce, tomatoes and remaining cheese.