On a rainy day not too long ago I called up a friend asking for a little help with something and also invited her to stay for lunch. Along with a good visit we enjoyed a fresh fruit bowl and yogurt along side these blueberry and orange zest infused scones.
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tbsp butter, cold
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp orange or lemon zest
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Stir together all dry ingredients. Cut in cold butter until the butter is very small chunks.
- Stir together the apple sauce, zest and butter milk. Pour over dry mixture and stir with a fork just until it all comes together. Do no over mix scones.
- Using your hands, gently work the berries into the dough.
- Place mounds of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 375º for 12-15 minutes. Remove immediately to cooling rake. Best served warm. Add a dusting of powdered sugar for a finishing touch. Yields 8 large scones.