This is an easy, large recipe that can be cut in half but, left complete, it is a great one for a cookie exchange or to be packaged up as gifts. These cookies have a bit of a biscotti texture, with the special addition of toffee bits and almonds.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped almonds
- 1 pkg. (6 oz) English toffee bits
- Cream butter and sugar. Add oil, eggs and extracts. Mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients then gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in chopped almonds and toffee bits.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets and press a whole almond in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 12 min in 350° F oven, till slightly golden. Yield: 11 - 12 doz.