- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- Beat together egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. fold into egg yolk and sugar mixture.
- Sift together flour, instant coffee and cocoa. Gently fold into egg mixture.
- Pour into a wax paper lined small cookie sheet or 13x9 cake pan.
- Bake at 400º for 10-12 minutes, or until wooden tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Place a clean sheet of wax paper on counter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Carefully turn out cake onto wax paper. Peel off lining paper. While cake is still hot roll up cake and wax paper together. Cool.
- 2 squares semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
Place ingredients in a small sauce pan. Over medium heat stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Cool.
Beat the following ingredients together until soft peaks form. Fold cooled chocolate mixture into whipped cream.
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
When cake has cooled unroll and spread with filling. Carefully lift roll onto serving tray.
Butter Cream Frosting:
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
Beat together all 5 ingredients until mixture is light and fluffy. Frost yule log and decorate with a piping bag and tip.
Suggestions for decorations: large shards of chocolate, slices of kiwi, maraschino cherries, or candies fruit, chocolate covered coffee beans.