Summer is salad season. There are so many great salad recipes to choose from, but for this one I just put together some fancy lettuce, added fresh and dried fruits and then broke up Sesame Snaps for some crunch and sweetness. I've added a Pureed Red Onion Dressing recipe to serve on the side...this salad combination has enough goodness in it to satisfy those who pass on the dressing.
Ingredients: for 6-8 servings
- 8-10 loosely measured cups of fancy or mixed greens
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 large orange, cut into sections
- 2 kiwi, sliced
- 1 apple pear, pealed and chopped fine
- 1 1 1/4 oz package Sesame Snaps (found in the candy isle. each package has 4 thin wafers)
- Break up the Sesame Snaps and add just before serving.
Toss all ingredients together. Serve dressing on the side.
Pureed red Onion Dressing:
This dressing is a pretty pink colour when blended.
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard
Place all ingredients in blender and puree. Pour into a jar and place in fridge for at least and hour to blend flavours. This dressing can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to a week.