Ingredients: (for 2 sandwiches)
- 4 large slices rye bread, I use Winnipeg Rye but choose your favorite
- 100 grams thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 4 large slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drain and squeeze well
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard, or to your liking
- 2 tsp butter
Lay out your bread on a cutting board and spread with mayonnaise and mustard. Divide and layer the meat, half the cheese well drained sauerkraut and then the remaining cheese onto one side of each sandwich. Top with the other piece of bread. Spread the outsides of both sides of sandwich for grilling.
Heat a non stick fry pan on low to medium heat. A lower heat helps to melt the cheese and heat the sandwich through.
Place the sandwich in the heated pan and allow to toast before flipping it to toast the other side.
Variation: 'The Ruby Sandwich'...for those who don't like as much tang.
Substitute ham and lightly dressed coleslaw for the corned beef and sauerkraut.