There is no butter or shortening in this recipe..just in case you thought I forgot.
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
1. In a bowl mix molasses, syrup, sugar, eggs and lemon juice until well blended.
2. In a separate bowl stir together 1 cup of flour, soda, ginger, lemon zest and combine with the mixture in the first bowl. Then add more flour as you need. I used 3 cups in total.
3. Separate the dough into 2 parts and shape each part into a roll. You may need a little extra flour as you shape the rolls as the dough tends to be a bit sticky. Wrap in waxed paper and freeze.
4. Remove from freezer and slice the rolls into approx 1/4 inch slices and bake at 350º for 8 minutes.
5. Cool on rack and put together with your favorite jam. I like wild plum jelly.
Yields: approx 38 sandwiched cookies