This salad is similar to other cabbage noodle salads except that the noodles are browned in butter and the dressing is made from scratch.
My daughter in law brought it for lunch on Sunday and we all enjoyed it so much I thought I should post it.
She got the recipe from Patty - a colleague in her office.
- 1 head Savoy Cabbage, shredded (using Savoy cabbage adds a crinkly appearance and texture)
- 5 green onions chopped
- 2 packages oriental noodles broken apart into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 small package sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup butter (less works too)
- 2 tsp. soya sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (I used a combination of white and rice vinegars)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Combine Cabbage and green onions in a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in pan. Break noodles up into small pieces and add with sesame seeds and almonds to pan. Fry until nicely browned. Remove from pan to paper towel. Cool.
- Mix soya sauce, sugar and vinegar until well blended.
- Add vegetable oil and mix well again.
- Just before serving, add noodle mixture to cabbage in bowl and pour dressing over.
- Toss lightly and serve.