I received this recipe from a neighbor of mine many years ago. Just recently she called me and could not believe that her Mom, Florence's carrot cake recipe was on our blog post.
It's fall time, and on this beautiful day, you can hear the tractors and machinery tilling up the land, planting winter wheat. What better treat than to serve a fresh piece of moist carrot cake loaded with almonds and a fresh cup of coffee. We don't know how long the weather will last.
Florence's Carrot Cake
- 3 cups of raw carrots, grated, set aside
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups salad oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped almonds
- Mix sugar, oil, and eggs. Add vanilla and the combined dry ingredients and nuts.
- Add the carrots to the batter and stir well.
- Bake in a well greased 9 x 13 pan at 350 F for 45 minutes.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
This cake will be going along on a road trip to visit family for Thanksgiving weekend.