I have been making this dish since I was 15 or 16. It was one of the first dinners I had at Terry's house when we started dating . I asked his mom for the recipe and brought it home and made it.
I still make this steak dish when comfort food is needed for ourselves or for others.
At some point I came across the cookbook that she used.
- 2 pounds steak (round or flank)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour (a good dash of salt and pepper)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can of tomato soup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- dash Tabasco sauce
- Pound the flour into the steak or if it is already very thinly sliced sprinkle it on either side.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and brown the steak on medium high heat.
- Remove the steak and set aside.
- Brown the vegetables and add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir well and add the steak.
- Cook in the oven at 325 for 3 hours. Slower and longer makes it more tender. You can also put it in the crock pot on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
Hint: Double the sauce ingredients for plenty of sauce over mashed potatoes.