Our meals were pretty basic 'back in the day'...meat, potatoes and gravy, vegetables and maybe apple sauce. So that was the kind of meal we had for dinner tonight.
I cooked 'Crash Potatoes' for the first time...something I will definitely be making again. (The recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman Cooks website...click on link.)
I boiled new red potatoes until tender, crushed them into mounds with a potato masher on oiled pan, sprinkled liberally with salt, pepper, and herbs, and baked at 425 degrees F for another 20 minutes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 potato, peeled and finely grated
- 1-2 slices day-old bread
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Soak bread in milk or water.
- Add to ground beef along with egg, potato, onion and seasonings.
- Mix well with your hands.
- Form meat balls of desired size.
- Heat about 1/2 inch oil in frying pan and cook over medium-high heat.
- Turn meat balls over once well browned on the bottom side; cook several minutes longer.
I did three times the recipe today.
Tip* I soak the bread crumbs, then put in blender along with sliced potatoes (unpeeled), sliced onion, egg and seasonings. Blend until smooth...then mix with meat.
Enjoy another recipe from the past...