- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 pound lard
- 1 beaten egg (discard about half of the egg)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
*put the egg and vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup and fill to 1/2 cup.
- In a large bowl, cut the lard into the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients all at one time and stir.
- Turn the pastry onto the counter and shape it into a ball and combine it just until no flour is loose.
- Divide it in half, wrap it in plastic wrap and put 1/2 into the fridge for future use or make a double pie now.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Roll the pie crust out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Put it into your pie plate and leave a little room on the edges to turn the crust over and flute a bit.
- After the crust is in the pan, I take a double layer of foil and press it into the pan covering all the crust. I make sure that it is in all the edges.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn heat down to 375 bake another 10 minutes, remove the foil and bake until golden brown, about another 10 minutes.
- Let the crust cool completely before adding the filling.
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 5 egg yolks (whites set aside in a large metal or glass bowl)
- dash salt
- the lemon zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a 6 cup microwave safe measuring cup.
- Add water, egg yolks, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Cook in microwave and stir it every 2 minutes on high until it has come to a bubbly boil.
- Begin to prepare meringue while filling is cooking.
- Add 3 tablespoons of soft butter.
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Beat your egg whites adding in the cream of tartar and sugar until the whites are glossy and thick.
- As soon as the filling is done, pour it into the cooled pie shell, and immediately after add the egg whites on top making little mounds until it is all covered and touching the crust.
- Bake at 350 F until it is golden brown (about 22 -25 minutes).
If you put your meringue on your lemon filling when it is hot it will not weep.