- 1/4 cup butter, soft
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 bananas, mashed *
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cream (coffee cream or sour cream is fine)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg and then the mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir into wet.
- Stir in the milk or buttermilk.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake 30 minutes or until toothpick tests done.
- Meanwhile, mix icing ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to boil. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Set aside
- When cake is done spread hot cake with icing and return to oven on broil setting for 2-3 minutes, watching to be sure it doesn't burn. It will bubble and turn a dark caramel color. Serve warm or cooled. Serves 9
*So you know, you can omit the bananas and call it Brown Sugar Cake.