I first posted this Pumpkin Pie in 2013. It's still our favourite and I think you will find it easy to put together for your family too!
There is no need to buy pumpkin pies from a bakery when they are really so simple to make.
If you don't have time to make your own pastry, purchase a package with two frozen deep dish shells and use one of the shells to cut out little leaves with the thawed pastry for garnish.
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell or make your own (this can be done ahead of time)
- 1 3/4 cups pure pumpkin puree (about 1 - 15 ounce /398 ml can)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk (can sizes vary between US and Canada)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon*
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger*
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves*
- dash nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Adjust oven rack to second lowest level. Line a 9 inch deep pie plate with pastry. Decorate edge with leaf cutouts or crimp with your fingers or
- Whisk together the pumpkin with the remaining ingredients until smooth. If you have a blender, put all the filling ingredients in there and process until smooth.
- Pour carefully into the pastry crust. To prevent the crust edges from becoming too dark, use kitchen shears to cut out the inside of an aluminum pie plate and cover the pie as shown in the photo.
- Bake at 425 F. for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350 F and bake an additional 35 minutes. Test by putting a sharp knife an inch from the edge. It should be clean.
- Cool on rack. Only refrigerate the pie if it is not being served the same day it is baked. Serve with sweetened whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
*if the cinnamon, ginger and cloves are not spices you use often, purchase pumpkin pie spice and use 2 teaspoons.