When we toured the little town of Hyeres, France, we stopped at a sidewalk cafe and had the most amazing crepes! I decided that we would have to try these when we got home. I used an old stand by pancake (crepe) recipe from the Mennonite Treasury (p 15) and poured them a tad thicker than I would for "sugar roll up" type pancakes. Dessert pancakes are not a lot of work and can be a fun to do around the table. I will post a banana hazelnut spread version, but the filling options are limitless.
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- hazelnut spread, sliced bananas and whipped cream
- With hand mixer, beat eggs, milk, flour and salt, until fairly smooth.
- Pour about 1/3 - 1//2 cup of batter into hot, lightly buttered 8-inch griddle.
- Cook both sides and stack on serving plate. Butter griddle as needed.
- Prepare filling and topping: sliced bananas, hazelnut topping in piping tube and whipped cream. When served, each guest can spread hazelnut topping down center of crepe, top with bananas, fold over and top with whipped cream. Hazelnut - free options to have on hand as well could be steamed, sliced apples or any fresh or cooked berries.