This recipe is inspired by one my sister shared with me from Chatelaine. My interest was piqued by a savory version of a zucchini loaf and we love it here. You can serve it warm for brunch, freeze it pre-sliced to take with cheese for a packed lunch or enjoy it with a bowl of soup.
- 1 small zucchini
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached/all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese (or what you have)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Coarsely grate unpeeled zucchini. If you like to hide it more, use fine side of grater. It will measure a bit more, but 1 - 1/2 cups is good. Drain only if there is excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients and cheese.
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with whisk. Stir in oil and add zucchini.
- Stir in dry ingredients until just mixed and spread into loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick tests done. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack.