This bread is easy, delicious and includes a healthy choice of grains. Mix it by hand, in a Kitchen Aid mixer or bread machine ( taking it out to rise once it's mixed). It is important to use fresh tasting ingredients, so be sure to store seldom used grain products in the fridge or freezer until needed.
- 2 cups hot water (from tap)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (approx)
- egg wash and sesame seeds, optional
- In large mixing bowl (stand mixer makes it easier but you can do by hand) mix ingredients in order given. Switch to hook attachment if you have, after stirring in the yeast. If not, stir with a strong wooden spoon and knead by hand for a minute or two to smooth out the dough. Oiled or floured hands make it easier.
- Cover bowl. Make sure there is enough room to double, or transfer dough to larger bowl before you cover and let rise about 1 hour.
- Prepare a large sheet by greasing or lining with parchment paper. Alternately you can just grease three loaf pans.
- Divide dough into three parts. Roll each out into a 10 inch oval or circle and roll up. Shape into loaf and cut slit along top. If using loaf pans, you can just knead and shape to fit into pan.
- Let rise about 45 minutes. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seeds or rolled oats.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 - 35 mintues. Cool on wire rack. Slice and freeze for your favorite sandwiches or enjoy with a bowl of soup.