For Flash Back Friday, I'm bringing back a favourite casserole.
Harv's Mom always made it for supper when Dad hired a local man to help him.
For the full story you can go back and read my original post.
I made it recently for my brother in law and it brought back warm memories.
- 3 cups macaroni
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 7.5 ounce tin tomato sauce
- 1 10.75 ounce tin tomato soup - undiluted
- 1/2 cup ketchup or bottled chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups (or more) grated cheese - cheddar and/or mozzarella
- Cook macaroni in salted boiling water. drain.
- While macaroni is cooking,brown hamburger in a fry pan, draining excess fat and place in large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside
- Add onions and peppers to the pan and sautè until wilted. add to hamburger in bowl.
- Add cooked macaroni, soup, sauce and ketchup, basil and oregano and mix well with hamburger and vegetables.
- Spoon into large casserole dish or two smaller ones.
- Top with grated cheese (be generous)
- Bake at 350º for 1/2 and hour or until casserole bubbles.
- Serve with a green salad.