Who doesn't love Apples?
Bushels and boxes full of fresh apples are now appearing at farmer's markets and shops.
Here is a recipe that utilizes this favourite fruit.
These muffins have lots of apples in them plus almost everything else.
They are moist, delicious and freeze well.
The recipe makes approximately 36 medium sized muffins.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup natural bran (not cereal)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 4 cups shredded peeled apples
- 1 cup shredded peeled carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 cups raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/1/2 cups oil
- 1/4 cup fancy molasses
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Lightly grease muffin tins and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add shredded apple, carrots, pecans, raisins, and coconut and toss together with dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix oil, molasses, milk, beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix lightly until evenly moistened. Do not over mix.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350º for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in muffins come out clean.
- Immediately loosen muffins from edge of cups and tilt each muffin in it's cup. This keeps them from getting soggy in the pan.
- Remove muffins to a rack.
- Serve warm or let cool completely and freeze.