I love homemade bread and buns, and baking buns is very therapeutic for me.
I usually add half whole wheat flour, but this time at the request of my kids, I didn't.
This recipe makes a very light and airy bun. So good.
- 4 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp. quick rise yeast
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tbsp.vinegar
- 2 tsp.salt
- 1/2 cup sugar ( I use 1/4 cup)
- 10 cups flour/ a little more if needed
- start with about 6 cups flour, add the yeast salt and sugar and stir together.
- add the warm water, oil and vinegar.
- stir together with a wooden spoon adding more flour till it is hard to stir.
- add remaining flour a bit at a time till you have a soft, smooth and elastic dough that is no longer very sticky when kneading.
- knead for a few minutes by hand on a floured surface.
- let rest in greased and covered bowl in a warm place for about 40 minutes. I use my oven with the light on.
- Make into buns by either pinching off a piece of dough the size of an egg. Shape into a ball.
- Place it onto a 11 x 15 inch baking sheet about three buns across and 4 buns down. About an inch apart from each other.
- Let rise for another 40 minutes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Watch your oven, temperatures vary.
- Share and enjoy!!!!!