20 years ago our youngest daughter sang in the
Pacific Mennonite Children's Choir.
She brought this recipe home after having it at one of the other choir members homes.
Her note on the hand written recipe said,
VERY GOOD LIGHT CAKE.
She was right.
Here I have used blackberries, but you could also use,
blueberries, plums, apricots or peaches.
Ingredients - for cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- fruit to cover cake, fresh or frozen
Ingredients - for topping
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat together eggs and sugar until creamy. Add Crisco and beat well.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat just until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Dump batter into a small greased cookie sheet. Top generously with fresh or frozen fruit.
- To make crumble topping, stir together flour and sugar. Cut in butter until it becomes small crumbly pieces. Sprinkle with vanilla and toss with hands, then immediately sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake in 350º oven for 25-30 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
Don't forget to visit our Facebook discussion page to enter to win two tickets to the West Coast Women's Show! The random winner will be chosen Thursday afternoon.