- 1 lb smoked ham hock
- ½ dried red hot pepper
- 10 black pepper kernels
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes
- 6 cups chopped (frozen or fresh) green beans
- summer savory
- 1 bouillon cube (chicken or beef) if needed, for extra flavor
- Cover ham bone with about 8 cups water in large pot. Tie spices into cheesecloth and add to pot.
- Bring to boil, take off scum, and simmer about 1 hour.
- Take out ham bone. Add vegetables and cook another hour.
- While vegetables are cooking and after ham has cooled somewhat, remove ham from bone, chop into bite size pieces and return to pot.
- About ½ hour before it’s done, add a handful of summer savory, tied together for easy removal. If you can’t get summer savory, use a tiny sprinkle of thyme. Adjust flavors with bouillon if needed.
- Add ½ cup sweet cream or sour cream, before serving. Enjoy a trip down memory lane.
To make this soup with farmer sausage, simply cook peeled and chopped sausage along with vegetables for an hour. You can also pre-cook the onion, then add water, sausage and vegetables. Use bouillon cube and summer savory for flavor.