Years ago popcorn balls were part of the Christmas candy assortment that was offered after the big Christmas dinner at my in-laws home. My MIL made them with a boiled syrup mixture instead of marshmallows. It was a sweet treat for the children and adults alike.
I haven't made popcorn balls in a very long time and so decided to do so again this year. I rolled some in sprinkles, some with candies, and the rest I left plain. Feel free to add and decorate as you wish. Can you imagine the excitement in a little child's face when you hold out a basket of popcorn balls and say 'you can pick one'?
- 12 cups popped corn (1/2 cup unpopped corn kernels)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkles or candies
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted.
- Add marshmallows. Cook until marshmallows are completely melted, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl and add marshmallow mixture, mix until well coated.
- Moisten hands frequently with water as you shape mixture into balls. Roll them in sprinkles or press candies into the balls.
- Place on parchment or waxed paper and let sit until firm. They will firm up more quickly if you refrigerate them.
- Wrap up in cellophane or small plastic bags and your little treats are ready to hand out!