To me there is something about a simple rhubarb cake that just says home to me.
Give me delicious moist cake with a good cup of coffee and fellowship anyday. You don't need to spend hours in the kitchen to come up with a tasty dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt (I used yogurt)
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter or hard margarine
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream (optional)
- Whisk together in a large bowl the first four ingredients.
- Add in Rhubarb and make sure all the rhubarb gets covered in the flour mixture. (It helps the rhubarb from settling at the bottom of the cake).
- Beat the eggs and sour cream or yogurt together.
- Fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until all the flour is incorporated. This is a very thick mixture.
- Pour the cake into a greased and floured 9 x13 pan.
- For the crumbs, mix the flour and sugar together. With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until you get large crumbs. (adding the milk or cream helps hold the crumbs together, but that is optional.) Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 45 minutes or until the center is done. Test it with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done.