Recently I was asked to bring a dessert that was gluten free, dairy free and egg free to a bridal shower. I have made this cake for years even before there were allergies in the family and knew it would be a hit. I used Namaste Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix.
Even though this chocolate cake is free of dairy, eggs, and I substituted gluten free flour it still resulted in a very moist and tasty cake.
Frost with your favorite frosting. My favorite frostings are just below the cake recipe, or just sprinkle with icing sugar and berries for a simple yet beautiful result.
- 1 1/2 c. regular flour (or gluten free all purpose mix)
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tbsp. heaping cocoa powder
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 c. cold water
- Sift all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil, vinegar and water.
- Pour into a 8x8 well greased cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Or make 12 cup cakes and bake for 20 minutes.
- 1 package dream whip
- 1 1/2 c. cold milk
- 1 small package instant chocolate pudding mix
Beat together well until thick and creamy.
Burnt Coconut Frosting:
(my personal favorite and it tastes even better the next day)
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 3 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan.
- On medium heat, bring to boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour over the cake and brown under the broiler until golden brown, watching closely as not to burn the topping.