For my flashback Friday recipe I chose to republish one of our favourite summer burgers.
I've left up the original photo and post I published June 13, 2011, and below I added a photo showing these same burgers served without the bun and wrapped in lettuce. Either way...they are packed with great flavour and taste so fresh with Pico de Gallo and spicy mayo.
Ingredients for burgers:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp dry taco seasoning
Using your hands mix all ingredients together well. Form into 4 burger patties.
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo:
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup diced yellow and red pepper, combined
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 small seeded jalapeno pepper, dice very small
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2-3 grinds fresh pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- juice of one fresh lime (do not use bottled lime juice)
Add all ingredients together in a non metallic bowl. This can be made earlier in the day, covered and refrigerated.
Ingredients for spicy mayo and other toppings:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sambal Oelek, which is ground fresh chili paste. You could substitute with hot sauce, or if you don't like it hot use ketchup.
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Tex Mex cheese
- 4 kaiser buns
Method: Once you have all your toppings ready, fire up the barbecue. The last few minutes the burgers are on the grill top with cheese. Build your burger and enjoy!