From fish-'n-chips to fish sandwiches or fish tacos...those are often my picks on a fast food menu. Just yesterday we sat in the sunshine on the dock at Steveston and enjoyed fish 'n chips. That is fish as at best!
Here is a new favorite way to enjoy fish this summer...and so simple to make up at home. And healthier than 'fish and chips' as well. This is the 'fast food version'...but you can easily step it up a notch by using fresh fish of your choice...grilled to perfection!
- 4 frozen cod fillets, breaded
- 5 cups mixed lettuce greens
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 sweet bell pepper (red or yellow), chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Tortilla strips
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip dressing
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced cilantro or parley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisking well. Chill until ready to serve.
- Line baking pan with foil or parchment paper and bake fillets at 400° F for 20 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Combine mixed greens and cabbage and divide evenly between four large salad plates or bowls.
- Top each plate with peppers, red onion, chopped tomatoes and avocado slices.
- To serve, place a filet of fish on top of each salad and drizzle with dressing.
- Garnish with tortilla strips, if desired.