It's Barbeque Season and I find it such a treat to have my husband in charge of the grill.
When he looks after doing the meat and often the veggies, my part of the meal is easy peasy.
I love peppers and I love asparagus and the two vegetables
complement each other so well.
Recently, I found some of those long pointed sweet peppers at my
local produce market.
Their lovely shape took this combination of vegetables up a notch in presentation,
matching the long strips with the asparagus spears.
Once again this is more a serving suggestion than a recipe.
- Take 3 long pointed sweet peppers - preferably 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange
- Cut them in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and white membranes and slice lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips.
- Mix about 1/4 cup olive oil with 1 - 2 cloves minced garlic.
- If you have one of those BBQ pans with the holes in them, place pepper strips and asparagus in a single layer on the pan and brush them all lightly with the olive oil and garlic. If you don't have a pan, grill the veggies on a piece of heavy foil instead.
- Grill over medium high heat until asparagus is crisp tender and peppers are beginning to char around the edges.
- If you like, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Top with coarsely grated or shaved parmesan cheese and serve.