Christmas is coming, when all candy is calorie free because we are celebrating and what is Christmas without candy? My daughter asked me to come up with a chocolate nugget recipe and this one is easy to make and is really good.
These would make a sweet little addition to a gift basket or packaged as a hostess gift or just a treat
to serve to your own family or guests.
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup cream + 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes (use gluten-free cornflakes to make nuggets GF)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Mix cocoa powder and sugar
- Melt butter in saucepan on med. heat, add cream and stir in cocoa and sugar and vanilla.
- Stirring constantly, careful not to burn, bring to a boil and cook until candy thermometer reads 250 degrees.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, stirring until melted.
- Stir in crushed cornflakes and almonds.
- Line a pan 11"x 7" with parchment paper.
- Scrape mixture into pan and pat down with the back of a spoon.
- Chill in fridge for a couple of hours until set and hardened.
- Lift out of pan and cut into 1" squares.
- Keeps well - keep in fridge if wanting to keep for an extended period of time.
NOTE- if a lighter chocolate is desired, reduce cocoa powder to 1/4 cup and use milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate.