It's time to start thinking about using up the berries in your freezer and your family will thank you for thinking about pie! I keep discs of frozen pastry in my freezer and with frozen berries and a few apples, this pie is almost as quick as making a berry crumble.
Pastry enough to make 5 discs
- 5 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound lard
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Measure the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Cut in the lard with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is like large oatmeal.
- Put the egg into a 1 cup measuring cup. .beat it to break it up.
- Add the vinegar to the cup and then fill with water to the 1 cup line.
- Slowly stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture with a fork until just combined.
- Turn out onto a floured counter and knead a few times to bring it together into a ball.
- Divide into five portions, shape into flat discs, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze in a freezer bag.
Three Berry Apple Crumble Pie
- 1 pastry disc, thawed at room temperature
- 2 - 3 apples, peeled, cored and diced enough to make 2 cups
- 4 cups mixed frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Roll out pastry to fit over the edge of a 9 inch deep pie plate. Roll pastry under around the edge.
- Mix apples and berries and place in pie shell.
- Mix together cornstarch and sugar and sprinkle over fruit and tap the pan on counter to get the sugar mixed into the fruit.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- Melt butter and add remaining ingredients and sprinkle over pie.
- Cut 4 inch strips of foil to wrap around edge of pastry to prevent it from getting too brown.
- Bake for 1/2 hour and then check pie. If the crumble is beginning to brown too much place foil over pie. Reduce heat to 375 and continue to bake another 45 minutes and then check to see if the centre of fruit is beginning to bubble. Add additional time if necessary.