Broccoli is one of those vegetables that is fun to dress up.
What is your favourite flavour boost for this bright green vegetable?
I had some finely diced carrot and peppers leftover from another meal.
Added to bacon and onions, it made a very tasty topping for broccoli.
- 2 slices of bacon, very finely sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red and yellow peppers
- 1 bunch fresh broccoli
- 1-2 tablespoons butter if desired
- Fry bacon until it is crisp.
- Drain off most of the bacon drippings.
- In about 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings, saute onions, carrots and peppers until they start to brown and caramelize.
- Add bacon and mix well. Set aside.
- Steam broccoli or microwave it until it is crisp tender.
- Toss broccoli with butter if desired and arrange on a serving platter.
- Spoon the vegetables over the broccoli (I like to spoon them in a strip across the middle of the platter).
- Serve immediately.