It's still some time before those ripe juicy strawberries will be ripe for the picking. In the meantime, if you need a quick and delicious layer cake I think you will agree that this one is a winner.
It uses a cake mix which is perfect when you are pinched for time in the kitchen.
- 1 15.25 ounce (432 g) boxed Strawberry cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (not fat reduced)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Line two 9 inch pans with parchment paper on the bottom. Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream and then drizzle in melted butter and beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Batter will be thick. Spread evenly into the two pans and bake 25 minutes and then test by sticking a toothpick in the centre. It should come out clean.
- Remove the pans to a wire rack. Allow to sit a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Carefully turn the cake out onto your hand and then put parchment paper side down on a wire rack to cool.
Creamy Pudding Strawberry Frosting
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cup cold milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 heaping tablespoons strawberry jam
- Beat together instant pudding and cold mix in a medium mixing bowl for two minutes.
- Add whipping cream and beat until fluffy. Beat in the strawberry jam and then refrigerate until set.
- Cut each layer into two layers to make a 4 layer cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting between each layer and then a thin layer on sides and the remaining on top. Garnish with sliced strawberries.
For an easy way to serve smaller and average appetites and to get 16 slices out of a 9 inch layer cake, cut cake into four even pieces and then split that four to make eight pieces and then cut a V-shape at the top of each piece. You can make even more small pieces by cutting each of the edge pieces in half. That's the way my Mom did it!