One of the first things that I would encourage you to do if you are doing a lot of baking for a large crowd would be to invest in a proper pan. I have an 11 X 15 straight sided light colored aluminum pan that serves 30 pieces. You could probably divide it in half and bake it in two 9 X 13 pans but the cake would not be as deep nor would it bake as evenly flat on top. Carrot cake can be baked the day ahead which just allows the flavours to blend and gives you a bit more of a breather when you are preparing for a larger group.
- 5 cups grated carrots (about 8 medium sized)
- 2 19 ounce/ 540 ml pineapple chunks, drained
- 6 eggs or to equal 1 1/3 cups (this is important as in this quantity egg size makes a difference
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons egg white powder
- 4 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F (you will turn it down for baking)
- Use a food processor to grate carrots if you have one or grate the carrots with a medium sized grater and set aside.
- Put the pineapple in the food processor and pulse until it is mushy. (if you do not have a food processor you could use crushed pineapple but the quantity in the can would be different so rather use 2 cups well drained crushed pineapple). Set aside
- Line your pan with parchment paper and bring up the sides on two of the sides if you want to remove from pan. Do not grease the remaining sides .. cakes cannot crawl up a greased side.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In another large mixing bowl, combiner the eggs, and sugars and beat until light.
- Add oil and beat until thick.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Add the carrots and pineapple and stir until well combined.
- Spread evenly in the pan.
- Put in the oven on the center rack and turn the oven down to 325.
- Bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean in the center of the cake.
- Let cool and then remove from pan if the cake is to be decorated for display.
To make icing.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix on low until just combined and then beat until light.
- Spread on cake and then refrigerate.
If you want to make the cake ahead but don't have refrigerator room for your party, only spread icing on an hour before serving.
To decorate sprinkle with 2 cups crushed walnuts if desired. This is a perfect topping. It cuts the sweetness of the cream cheese icing and covers up the imperfect spreading of icing.