These home made crackers are wonderful to serve with your favourite cheese spreads or dips, smoked salmon or pate. Break these crispy crackers up into random sized pieces and place in a basket to serve. Before baking I topped these with sesame seeds and Sabrosa, which is a seasoned sea salt. See other seasoning ideas below.
Ingredients: (yields 4 - 12" thin crispy crackers)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 egg, (for egg wash)
- sesame seeds, for topping
- sea salt, for topping
- Add flour and salt to a bowl. Stir to mix.
- Add warm water to flour mixture. Stir until dough comes together into a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead well, sprinkling with small amount of extra flour if needed until dough is smooth. Knead for 10 minutes.....this is an important step.
- Place kneaded dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp lint free towel.
- Allow dough to rest on counter for 2 hours.
- Divide dough into four equal sized pieces.
- Roll out each piece into a thin circle approximately 12" each. The shape will not be perfect, but that makes for an interesting shape.
- Pick up rounds and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. I baked two in the oven at a time.
- Break egg into a bowl and lightly beat. Brush tops of dough rounds with egg. Poke all over randomly with a fork.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sea salt. Don't over due the salt, just a light sprinkle will add a nice taste.
- Bake in 425º oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned and crisp.
- Remove to a cooling rack. Once cooled, break apart and serve.
Store crackers in an airtight container or zip lock bag.
-course black pepper
-finely chopped fresh dill or dried dill weed
-red pepper flakes