3 1/2 c flour plus some for shaping and rolling out
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c butter
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk or water
1/2 cup buttermilk (or sour cream or soured milk)
1 - 1 1/2 cups thick jam
(we prefer plum or guava)
- Cut shortening and butter into dry ingredients with pastry blender.
- Add combined beaten egg and liquids. Stir with fork until everything is moist.
- Sprinkle with a little more flour, kneading gently and shape into log. Can chill at this time.
- Divide log into four parts. Set aside three.
- Roll a quarter of the dough out - rolling it up gently with the rolling pin (or flipping) to add more flour underneath. Roll sideways and up and down to achieve desired size - about 16 x 10 inches.
- Divide into four rectangular strips, each about 4 x 10 inches.
- Along one long side of each strip, spread about 1 - 2 Tbsp thick jam.
- Roll up like jelly rolls, pinching ends. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Can freeze at this time to bake fresh when needed.
- Bake on parchment-lined cookie sheets at 375 F for 30 - 35 min.