So here in answer to her request is the recipe.
Schmooa Kumpst is the Low German name that I remember this recipe being called in my childhood.
In German it would be Geschmoorte Kohl or geduenstetes Kraut (Stewed Cabbage)
Although I didn't care for it as a child, I did grow to like it as I grew older.
It is a delicious side dish - could be served with a schnitzel or roast beef dinner.
It is traditionally served hot, but I rather like it cold too.
- 6 cups chopped or shredded cabbage
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apple rings
- 10 prunes -- quartered
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar (less if desired)
- Mix fruit and cabbage in saucepan
- Mix remaining ingredients and add to fruit and cabbage
- Cook stirring until mixture boils
- Remove from stove and put into slow cooker -- setting on high and cook for 1 1/2 hours. (can also be simmered on stove top - stirring occasionally)
- Serve hot immediately or refrigerate and reheat when needed.