Homemade yogurt is easy to make, and so much cheaper than the commercial varieties.
Here is how I make it.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp commercial yogurt (Greek is good)
- candy thermometer
- double boiler
- Pour 4 cups of milk into the top of a double boiler and place over the bottom pot that has a couple of inches of boiling water in it -- the top of the double should not touch the water, but keep the water boiling.
- Cook, stirring every few minutes and check the temp. of the milk. You want to bring it to just below the boiling point , do NOT let it boil. Take it to about 200F or 90C. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get it there. A layer of foamy bubbles will form over the top as it cooks.
- Remove from heat, skimming off any top 'skin' and let cool to lukewarm 100F or 37C Hint - if you don't want a skin to form over the milk as it cools, place plastic wrap over the top of the milk - yes, touching it.
- Stir in the 2 tbsp commercial yogurt -- make sure you are using one with a live active bacteria.(after you make your first batch, you can save a couple of tbsp for your next batch. It is easiest to mix some of the lukewarm milk into the 2 tbsp prepared yogurt and then stir if back into the rest of the milk.
- Now cover the bowl with a clean cloth and set it in a warm place. I find putting it into my oven with the oven light left on is perfect.
- Leave it there for about 10-12 hours - overnight is nice when you don't use your oven! You can leave it up to 24 hours if you wish. The longer you leave it the stronger the flavour will be.
- It will set up very nicely with a smooth, creamy texture.
- After it is thick you can stir in flavouring if you wish -- Stirred Yogurt is a little thinner -- so the choice is yours. Leave it thicker and add fruit or granola when you serve it or add flavoring before you refrigerate.
- If you want to make Stirred Yogurt remember to first take out the 2 tbsp. for your next batch.
My husband and I like our yogurt flavored -- our favourite is the following .
- juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 or 3 tablespoons honey (or to taste)
- Mix together and stir into set yogurt before refrigerating.
- The gentle lemon flavour adds a tang that is lovely with fresh strawberries !