Not long ago I ordered an appetizer at Earl's restaurant that I really enjoyed and knew I could come home and make it.
Here's my version of the tender chicken pieces and crunchy wontons covered in a Sweet Thai chili sauce. Perfect as an appetizer or simple supper served with a side of rice and broccoli cole slaw.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 wonton wrappers, cut into 1/2" strips
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups Sweet Thai chili dipping sauce ( I used a brand called VH from Safeway)
- 2 tablespoons thin slices green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Place oil in non stick skillet. Turn to medium hot heat and add chicken.
- Stir fry chicken in oil until light golden brown and no pink remains and is fully cooked. This will not take long. Once done remove from heat as you complete the following steps.
- While chicken is cooking, pour vegetable oil into a pot to a 2" depth. Place over heat and once hot deep fry 8-10 wonton strips at a time. They will only take about 15-20 seconds to crisp up. With a strainer spoon remove to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Deep fry remaining wonton strips until they are all done.
- Heat Sweet Thai chili sauce in a small sauce pan or microwave.
- Once chicken and wontons are done, place together in a large bowl. Pour hot sauce over and gently stir to coat.
- Turn out onto a serving platter and garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.