This cake may just look like you have gone the extra mile for someone. In actuality, the only extra mile may just be finding ground hazelnuts. Almost gluten free, low fat and low sugar, a slice of this is too good to pass up.
Ingredients for cake:
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Grease 2 - 8 inch round or square cake pans. Line with wax paper cut to size of bottom and grease again.
- Mix flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using hand mixer, blend eggs and sugar well until pale yellow in color.
- Add ground hazelnuts and almond extract. Beating well, then stir in flour and baking powder.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake until cake tests done, about 30 minutes at 350 F.
- Invert onto cooling rack, peel off wax paper and allow to cool.
- Fill with whipped cream frosting, cover sides and top and decorate with toasted nuts as desired.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- optional choices of flavoring in whipped cream - (1) hazelnut spread to taste (2) caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk, to taste (3) 2 Tbsp of instant chocolate pudding mix OR instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup toasted, sliced almonds or chopped hazelnuts
Beat whipping cream until stiff, adding a Tbsp of sugar or any of the optional flavorings. A small amount of instant vanilla pudding mix helps stabilize the cream for piping it. I added an extra layer of hazelnut spread in the cake as seen on the photo. Photo below was taken when cake was partially frozen.