Looking for a new potato recipe? This side dish is simply made and so delicious.
My favourite kind of comfort food.
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup grated Gruyre or Swiss Cheese
- salt, pepper, basil
- Cut onion in half and slice lengthwise from stem.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a frying pan and saute onions over medium heat until soft and caramelized.
- Spread the caramelized onions in a layer in the bottom of a buttered glass flan dish, or 9" cake pan.
- Thinly slice potatoes and tomatoes.
- On top of onions, lay potatoes and tomatoes closely together in an overlapping circular pattern, alternating 2 or 3 thin slices of potato with 1 slice of tomato, seasoning lightly with salt, pepper and basil as you go around. Continue overlapping until bottom of dish is covered.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in 350 F degree oven for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is browned.
- Cut into wedges to serve and enjoy!