- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup short grain pearl rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place rice, milk and salt in a deep, heavy saucepan.*
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, while stirring.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for about 45 minutes (or until rice is cooked) stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with a whisk.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the cooked rice into the egg mixture...then add the egg/sugar mixture to the cooked rice.
- Add raisins.
- Cook on low for two or three minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Cool slightly and serve warm or chill in the refrigerator and serve cold. It is delicious either way.
To bump it up a notch:
- Prepare your favorite vanilla custard.
- Whip up a pint of whipping cream, slightly sweetened and laced with vanilla.
- Spread a layer of rice pudding on dinner plate or platter.
- Top with a layer of vanilla custard.
- Garnish liberally with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Indulge in rice pudding deluxe!