I came across some lovely fresh green beans at the market the other day and had a craving for the Chicken and Green bean dish our local Chinese restaurant makes.
The dish I came up with did not resemble the one they make
however it was delicious and my husband suggested I share my version with you.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups whole fresh green beans
- 1 shallot or small onion, sliced
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or to taste
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (second amount)
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Place chicken in small bowl and toss with soy sauce. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup cornstarch in a plastic bag.
- Chop garlic.
- Blanch green beans in boiling water for 1 or 2 minutes,
- Drain beans and plunge into cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Drain chicken and drop several pieces at a time into the bag with the cornstarch. Shake until chicken is coated and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet and when it is hot, fry half of coated chicken pieces with 1/2 of the sliced garlic. Do not crowd pan.
- When chicken is done (cut into one piece to check for doneness) remove from pan to a plate. Add more oil to pan if needed and repeat with remaining chicken and garlic.
- In the same pan, saute shallot and mushrooms in 2 teaspoons oil
- Add honey, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar and 1 cup chicken broth to the pan with the fresh grated ginger. Simmer briefly to blend flavours.
- Mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and add to sauce gradually until sauce simmers and thickens slightly.
- Add chicken and green beans, cooking just until heated.
- Remove to a serving platter and top with pecans, sesame seed and chopped green onions.
- Serve over rice.