This casserole is great served as a sidedish to fish or chicken, but can also be served as a main dish if you like to go for a meatless dinner. The wonderful neighbor lady who shared the recipe with me many years ago knew how to cook up the tastiest vegetarian menu.
- olive oil for cooking
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup pearl or pot barley
- 2 1/4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook chopped onion in a bit of olive oil until tender. Spread into buttered 5-cup casserole.
- Cook chopped mushrooms until tender and juicy, then add to onions.
- Add barley to onions and mushrooms, then stir.
- Cover with broth and salt (or boiled water in which you have dissolved 2 tsp of Better than Boiulon or your prefered cubes).
- Bake covered at 350 F for 1 1/4 hours or until liquid has evaporated.