I find the hardest thing to 'create' to my satisfaction is bread ! It just isn't the same without gluten. But I keep tweeking to find that fool-proof loaf that looks/tastes good.
This is my latest tweeked recipe and it turns out a nice loaf - crisp crust/soft inside - with healthy ingredients.
TIP : I find the best way to let my gf bread rise is to put it on a wire rack over a pan of warm water. I put the pan over a stove element (or the warming element) set on low to keep the water warm.
Millet Bread Gluten- free
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed/sunflower seed (mixed)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup white bean flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 slightly rounded tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp unflavoured gelatine
- 1 ½ tbsp reg. yeast
- Mix sugar and gelatine, add ½ cup warm water , stir in yeast and let proof
- In mixer bowl beat eggs and oil , adding warm milk
- Add proofed yeast to liquids
- Mix well together dry ingredients and add all at once to liquids
- Beat on high for 4 minutes.
- Put batter in med. size loaf pan and let rise until it rounds the top of the pan
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 55 minutes.
- Cool slightly , remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack before slicing