Rainy days call for comfort food like this creamy potato and sausage dish.
Add a salad or vegetable and you have a satisfying meal.
The rosemary and mushrooms offer a tantalizing flavour change from ordinary scalloped potatoes.
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 link garlic sausage, skin removed and sliced into 1/4 inch slices.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, (strip leaves from stem and chop finely)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese ( I used a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella)
- Butter a 9x13" glass or pottery baking dish.
- In frying pan, saute' onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until caramelized. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add another tablespoon butter and saute' mushrooms. Set aside.
- Make a white sauce : melt butter in microwavable bowl or in a saucepan on the stove.
- Add flour and blend well.
- Add milk a little at a time, mixing until smooth.
- Microwave one minute at a time, stirring until it thickens. Or stir constantly on stove until thickened.
- Add rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Using 1/2 of the potatoes, make a layer of sliced potatoes.
- Top the potatoes with all of the onions and mushrooms.
- Cover with a layer of sausage slices and ladle half the sauce over it all.
- Top with the rest of the potatoes and arrange the remaining sausage slices on top.
- Cover with the rest of the sauce and top with grated cheese.
- Bake in 350º oven for 1 hour or until potatoes are done.