This tray of pan buns comes together easily and is a perfect addition to a pot of soup or chili.
Ingredients: (for 9x9 pan, or double for 9x13 pan)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quick rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup multi grain flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon quick rise yeast
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Melt butter and stir in other ingredients. Follow method below.
- In a microwave bowl or small pot mix together water, oats and butter. Cook until it bubbles and oats get soft. Cool to warm.
- Stir together all dry ingredients.
- Whisk egg and stir into warm oat mixture. Add to dry ingredients.
- Stir until everything is well incorporated. Add more white flour as needed and knead dough until you have a smooth, soft, but non sticky dough.
- Let rest in a draft free area for 15 minutes. Punch down and press dough into a greased 9x9 pan.
- Using a sharp knife, cut though dough all the way to the bottom of the pan. In the photo I made 9 large buns, but you can cut them smaller to give you more buns. Let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake in 375º oven for 15 minutes. Take out and brush on herb topping and put back into oven for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.