Bread and butter pickles are so simple to make...and a perfect accompaniment for sandwiches. The fresher the cuke...the better the pickle!
- Cucumbers, unpeeled and cut into thin slices ( a mandolin slicer works great)
- 1 or 2 small onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- Fill an empty 1 gallon bucket with cucumber and onion slices.
- Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes.
- Pour over cucumbers and onions.
- Stir and let cool.
- Cover and store in refrigerator. (Will keep for months, if they last that long!)
- They are ready to eat when they change colour.
They are the best addition to sandwiches! Cuke season is upon us...a good time to try these simple bread and butter pickles. And even when the fresh garden cukes are no longer available...these pickles can be made year-round using long English cucumbers.
Anneliese and Lovella will be at the Berean Christian Bookstore in Lancaster, PA tonight at 7 pm ... and would love to meet you if you live in that vicinity.